You’ve done the work, you’ve invested the money, you have the equipment…you’ve got your FIRST SHOW coming up. How do you prepare?
The first show, in fact the first 12 shows are very important to the success of your Catch The Mania night. As with every great service product it takes some time to build up a base but once you do it’s yours forever. Here are some tips for preparing for your first show:
- Do a dry run before the show at your house to make sure everything works
- Run through the entire presentation with your mic plugged in, your music playing and your computer hooked up to a TV screen
- Gather all your support material like score sheets, pens and your score sheet
- Work on your Scripts live on the mic
- Make a playlist that lasts at least 2.5 hours (this gives you time in case you run late or start early)
- Show up to the gig at least an hour early, plug everything in and run the presentation LIVE before people arrive – this can also be a great way to introduce yourself and Catch The Mania to people who are there early
- Make sure you get your prizes lined up before you start
- Get the names of all the servers and bartenders who are working so you can give them shout outs and encourage tipping
- Lay out all your score sheets and pens
- Greet people at their table even if they are not there for Trivia, encourage them to play
- Start on time
Preparation is a very important aspect of any successful venture. Remember if you get this gig going it’s going to provide consistent, reliable income for years so invest the small amount of time necessary to make sure you are ready to go when it’s start time.